SBI Clerk JOB Profile Description, Responsibilities, Work Details
The State Bank Of India is the largest bank in India with it’s every branch scattered around each and every corner of the country. There are different work profiles offered by the bank to run smoothly organization. The jobs that are offered by the SBI officials like SBI PO, Assistant Manager’s, Clerk, Jr. Assistant Manager etc. The task force management and selection are very crucial and vital process.
In this post, we will discuss the SBI Associate Clerk Job Profile, Responsibilities, Salary Structure, Growth, SBI Clerk Exam Pattern and some myths associated with this exam.
SBI Clerk Job Profile 2019
A Junior Associate (sophisticated name of clerk) in SBI acts as the first point of contact and is supposed to assist the Officers.
- Majority of the work involves acting as a Single Window Operator and taking care of customer queries.
- Some may work in CASA (Current Account Saving Account) where the work involves day to day transactions, withdrawals, deposits, account opening etc.
- Some may work in Deposits (opening of Term Deposits, RDs etc)
- Some may assist in Government Business (Pensions etc.)
- Some may assist the officers in the Credit Department (Loans, Recovery etc.)
- The job also involves marketing and cross-selling of bank products, calling customers for selling banking services, advisory services etc.
However, the job role varies as per the requirement of the department or branch in particular. There is no stress and you will enjoy your job if you are a person who likes to shirk responsibility.
Take the best rated SBI Clerk Test pack.
Job Recruitment Process for SBI Clerical Job
What is SBI Clerk Work in Bank? – The clerical job profile is very important in the bank. The selection of the right candidate is very crucial and the process of recruitment is very well designed. The recruitment of the candidates is based on the written examination and that will be conducted by the SBI officials.
The SBI clerical jobs have two categories the SBI Junior Associates Job Profile & SBI Junior Agricultural Associates Job Profile. The selection process is based on written examination and aspirants are given the rank according to their performance in the written examination.
The question paper is styled well mannered to test the strength of the candidates. The process of the selection begins with test and after that, the merit list is constructed. The merit list is based upon the highest marks obtained by the candidates. The process of the SBI Clerk exam 2019 is:
- To get SBI Clerk job one had to score marks in the merit list.
- After that, the aspirants are called for the personal interview only those who got marks according to the rank scores in marks.
- The students who got selected for the interview will be called for the verification of documents.
- The lastly before awarding the medical test of the candidate is conducted by the medical team of the Bank.
- After the whole process candidate will be appointed to any regional and urban branch of the SBI.
- Register for Free SBI Clerk Practice Test
- SBI Clerk Exam Dates 2019
|SBI Clerk Preparation Tips||SBI Clerk Syllabus 2019 Pdf|
SBI Clerk Post Prohibition Period
The prohibition period is the trial period for the job. The selected candidate for the job is trained in the prohibition period in job profiles of sbi clerk and make them competent in multitasking different jobs. So that person can handle each and every work portfolio offered to them after the trial period.
The newly appointed Junior Associates/ Junior Agricultural Associates will be on probation for a minimum period of 6 months. 15 prescribed e-lessons will be required to be completed by newly recruited Associates during the probation. The candidates need to do this to confirm their employment at the bank.
The 15 prescribed e-lessons will include role-based e-lessons, which means while on probation, you will be taught about your Job Profile at SBI, functions, duties, responsibilities and more. Within the 6 months, the aspirant will be trained thoroughly so that they can become a useful asset for the SBI.
If the Probationary Associate fails, their probation will be extended till completion of the same. Further, before the probation period comes to an end, the performance of the newly recruited employees will be evaluated and the Probation period may be extended till the day bank isn’t satisfied by the performance of the employee.
Take the best rated SBI Clerk Test.
SBI Clerk Junior Associate Job Work Profile and responsibility
The SBI Clerk has vital responsibilities and duties towards the bank and to zeal, in them, the clerk needs to identify those roles first, so that the officer can drill those responsibilities in his life. Few of those duties are as follows:
- The maintenance of public relations is the vital role of an SBI clerk. The person has to deal with people on a daily basis. The clerk should be competent in handling different peoples and have skills to communicate with them, the clerk should be competent in handling pity issues of the public and provides them with instant solutions.
- The clerk should be well educated. He or she must have the knowledge of every new policy of the bank so that they can answer queries from the public and provides them satisfactory answers.
- The SBI clerk should be competent in handling cash as sometimes SBI Clerks need to work as cashiers or single window operators. They need to be comfortable while dealing with financial instruments like cheques, demand drafts, etc. They should handle cash frequently so that customers won’t have to wait for their turn.
- The SBI job profile of Jr. Assistant contains the maintenance of Ledger’s, cash book, journal etc. So the person should be well trained in bookkeeping and be handling back-office work also.
- The SBI Junior Associate Job Profile also entails marketing financial products of the bank such as loans, schemes, deposits, funds, to potential customers etc. The bank wants employees to offer different schemes to the public to encourage them to work with them.
- Jr. Associates also need to scrutinize applications and plans to ensure completeness, authenticity, and viability. They need to verify the documents of the customers to make sure, they need to ensure that the applications are correct and true. The clerk has to sometimes go and physically verify the person.
- Making customer calls for selling banking services, advisory services, and cross-selling products of the bank inside and outside the bank premises. This may require extensive outdoor traveling. This is the “Sales” aspect of the Junior Associate Job Profile and the bank provides a traveling allowance for that purpose.
- The maintenance of accounts and verification of them is the duty of Junior Associate. The issue of the checkbook, maintenance of passbook etc all the duties of clerk.
- Register for Free SBI Clerk Practice Test
SBI Clerk Junior Agricultural Associate Job Profile
The SBI is not just a banking organization India, it plays a few vital roles like providing agricultural aid to the farmers as the bank has its wide range of branches in the rural areas. To satisfy rural customers a new SBI Clerk Job Profile of Junior Agricultural Associate is appointed in the rural branches. The work profile of Jr. Agricultural Associate is little different than the Jr. Associate such as:
- The duty of SBI Agricultural Associate is to assisting farmers/small borrowers in all the processes and provide periodic updates to them. The latest farming trends and government policies are provided by the officer.
- The clerk collects information about all the relevant factors such as crops, land holdings, infrastructure, equipment, nearby credit facilities available to the farmer/small borrower. After collecting data it is shared with the government and the other branch officers of the SBI.
- Encouraging farmers/small borrowers to mobilize funds and deposit their savings with the bank instead of stashing it at home as cash. The new policies of the government are also related to demonetization also helps the banking structure.
- Verifying that the bank’s loans are being properly used and check on the work in progress for which the loan was granted. The Jr. Agricultural Associate Job Profile also requires them to furnish reports on such verifications.
- Maintaining liaison with Land Record & Registration Offices as well as other Governmental/Developmental agencies for quick handling of the bank’s work. The data used for development and policy formulation by the banking sector and government.
- Job Profile of SBI Bank PO
SBI has advertised the circle wise vacancy. It is preferable to fill a particular circle only if you know the local language of that circle/state as SBI will conduct the test before the joining. SBI has considerable vacancies all over India and SBI generally gives home-town in clerical cadre if there is a vacancy.
|Latest SBI Clerk Exam Updates 2019
|SBI Clerk Notification 2019||SBI Clerk Online Application Form|
|SBI Clerk Eligibility Criteria||SBI Clerk Admit Card Download|
|SBI Clerk Cut Off Expected||SBI Clerk Books Pdf|
|SBI Clerk Result With Scorecard||SBI Clerk Question Papers|
SBI Clerk Work Timings and Career Growth
The work timings are generally 10 am to 5 pm for clerical cadre, however, based on the quantum of work, they can be asked to sit beyond working hours. In SBI there is a huge scope for promotions and a person is eligible for promotion to Officer after 3 years of service. A direct recruit clerk can reach up to the level of General Manager (considering he has minimum of 23 years of service).
There are promotional examinations to reach the next stage. The hierarchy level is given below:
- Scale 1 – Clerk / Junior Associate
- Scale 2 – Trainee Officers (Scale I)
- Scale 3 – Manager
- Scale 4 – Senior Manager
- Scale 5 – Chief Manager
- Scale 6 – Asst. General Manager
- Scale 7 – Deputy General Manager
- Scale 8 – General Manager.
- Scale 9 – Chief General Manager
- Scale 10 – Deputy Director
SBI Clerk Selection Process
How to Become an SBI Clerk Officer? – There will a Preliminary online test of 100 marks for 1 hour covering Reasoning, Quantitative Aptitude, and English. There is a time limit of 20 minutes in each section. 10 times of the total vacancy will be shortlisted for mains examination. This will be followed by a 200 marks Main Examination which is as described below:
|Section||No. of Question||Total Marks||Duration|
|General English||40||40||35 minutes|
|Quantitative Aptitude||50||50||45 minutes|
|Reasoning Ability and Computer Aptitude||50||60||45 minutes|
|General/Financial Awareness||50||50||35 minutes|
|Total||190||200||2 hours 40 minutes|
There will be negative marking of 1/4th of the marks assigned to that question.
For more details, you can visit SBI Official website https://www.sbi.co.in/careers/.
Major Changes in Clerk Exam
• Sectional Timings in each section of Preliminary as well as mains examination
• There is no sectional cut-off for this year’s SBI Clerk Examination. The only aggregate cut-off is present
• No rough sheets – just like the IBPS exams. (not mentioned in the advertisement but you can expect this in SBI exam also)
• Test of the local language (exempted for those who will produce 10th or 12th mark sheet of that language)
• 50% of the waitlist will be maintained by SBI for each state.
The SBI clerk is one of those entry-level jobs in India which got the highest salary in the beginning. The salary structure of SBI Clerk is reviewed from time to time and changed made as per the prevailing trends. The salary structure is as:
According to a rough estimate and the SBI Clerk Notification, the total starting emoluments of a Clerical Cadre employee payable at a Metro like Mumbai will be around Rs. 20,950/-per month inclusive of Dearness Allowance (D.A.) and other allowances. Allowances vary depending upon the place of posting of the employee.
SBI Clerk salary in Class Y cities: Rs. 20,000/-
SBI Clerk salary in Class Z cities: Rs. 19,000/-
Bank clerk salary in SBI is about Rs. 20,000/- higher (on an average) in comparison to clerks in other banks. The difference is due to the extra allowances that SBI offers to its clerks. The allowance that SBI offers to its employees makes the sbi clerk job more pope among the aspirants. The list of few perks and allowance offered by SBI are :
- Dearness Allowance (DA): This allowance is revised on a quarterly basis in the months of February, May, August, and November. It is based on the Consumer Price Index (CPI) as declared by the Government of India. When inflation is high, DA goes up and when inflation falls, DA goes down.
- House Rent Allowance (HRA): This allowance depends on the place of posting. Employees posted in metros like Mumbai, Delhi, etc. are given a better HRA in comparison to those posted in other cities.
- Junior Agricultural Associates will be eligible to get an additional amount, called Special Pay, of Rs. 490/- p.m. which is reckoned for DA, HRA and superannuation benefits.
- Apart from the above, SBI Clerk Salary also includes various perquisites like Furniture Allowance, House Maintenance Allowance, Books & Magazine Allowance, Briefcase Allowance, Reimbursement of Telephone Bills etc.
This is not it as the State bank of India offers few more perks to their Junior Associate and Junior Agricultural Associate.
- The employees are given the facility to adjust their working hours and make them bend according to their will.
- The good working environment is maintained by the SBI in their offices.
- The bank gives an opportunity to grow to the employees.
- The medical and traveling allowance is given to the employees.
As the efficiency of the organization depends upon its employees and their performance as the SBI is a national bank has a great emphasis on economic development. It is the complete guide on “SBI Clerk 2019 Job Profile”.
|IBPS PO Work Profile Details||IBPS Clerk Job Description|
|IBPS PO Salary and Allowances||IBPS Clerk Salary and Allowances|
Some Myths about SBI Clerk Exam
- Only people with strong math’s background clear this exam: Not true at all. People with journalism as background are also selected in this exam. Read the eligibility criteria for details. Moreover, there is only an aggregate cut-off this time. If you are scoreless in quant’s, you can counter it by scoring more in other sections.
- It’s like a normal bank, monotonous job, lack of growth opportunities: Another myth. SBI is the number one bank in India and this makes a lot of difference. As already stated, there are diverse departments and the job is very interesting with decent growth opportunities.
- My Preliminary score is just above the cutoff, I will not be able to make it: With lacs of students appearing, you should be proud not disheartened to make it to the mains exams. The marks of preliminary are not counted in deciding the final merit list. The race is not over yet.
- I will focus on Preliminary for now and then on Mains: Another mistake. It is not easy to prepare for mains exam in 30-40 days. Start preparing from Day 1 for mains.
- I am getting a good score in SSC and IBPS/ I am preparing for UPSC, SBI should be a cakewalk: Scoring good marks in the said examinations will boost your confidence but you should keep in mind the pattern is entirely different from SSC and so is the level of competition. The level of DI and Quants is up to the level of CAT and reasoning is also very tough.
Take the best rated SBI Clerk Test pack.
Hope this article helps you a lot now you better understand that What is SBI Clerk Work in Bank? and Workload, Environment, nature & Job Profile of Clerk in SBI Bank.
All the best for your exams,
Team SBI Recruitment Guide