List of All Prime Ministers of India from 1947 to 2019, Salary, Duties, Office Address, Email Id & Current Prime Minister of India etc.
Have you heard about the famous phrase that says A people without the knowledge of their past history, origin, and culture is like a tree without roots?
Yes, it is indeed true that knowledge is power!
There’s nothing more privileged than knowing your own country’s law and rights.
You never know when it might come handy. So here we are if you busy in bank exam preparation or any of the competitive exams then brushing up your general knowledge skill is the must.
Read us till the end to learn about the Prime minister in India in detail.
So, without any ado let’s get started!
Overview of All Prime Ministers of India
Since independence, India has witnessed 14 full-time prime ministers.
Pandit Jawahar Lal Nehru was the first prime minister of India.
At present, the office is headed by Mr. Narendra Modi of the BJP last vacated by Dr. Man Mohan Singh of the Congress-led United Progressive Alliance (UPA).
List of all prime minister of India of different political parties in the chronological order
- Jawaharlal Nehru (1947–64)
- Gulzarilal Nanda (1964; 1st time)
- Lal Bahadur Shastri (1964–66)
- Gulzarilal Nanda (1966; 2nd time)
- Indira Gandhi (1966–77; 1st time)
- Morarji Desai (1977–79)
- Charan Singh (1979–80)
- Indira Gandhi (1980–84; 2nd time)
- Rajiv Gandhi (1984–89)
- V.P. Singh (1989–90)
- Chandra Shekhar (1990–91)
- P.V. Narasimha Rao (1991–96)
- Atal Bihari Vajpayee (1996; 1st time)
- H.D. Deve Gowda (1996–97)
- Inder K. Gujral (1997–98)
- Atal Bihari Vajpayee (1998–2004; 2nd time)
- Manmohan Singh (2004–2014)
- Narendra Modi (2014– 2024)
These are the prime minister of India list from 1947 to 2024.
- First (1st) Prime Minister of India was Jawaharlal Nehru.
- Second (2nd) Prime Minister of India was Gulzarilal Nanda
- Third (3rd) Prime Minister of India was Lal Bahadur Shastri
- Fourth (4th) Prime Minister of India was Gulzarilal Nanda
- 5th Prime Minister of India was Indira Gandhi
- 6th Prime Minister of India was Morarji Desai
- 7th Prime Minister of India was Charan Singh
- 8th Prime Minister of India was Indira Gandhi
- 9th Prime Minister of India was Rajiv Gandhi
- 10th Prime Minister of India was V.P. Singh
- 11th Prime Minister of India was Chandra Shekhar
- 12th Prime Minister of India was P.V. Narasimha Rao
- 13th Prime Minister of India was Atal Bihari Vajpayee
- 14th Prime Minister of India was H.D. Deve Gowda.
- 15th Prime Minister of India was Inder K. Gujral.
- 16th Prime Minister of India was Atal Bihari Vajpayee.
- 17th Prime Minister of India was Manmohan Singh.
- 18th Prime Minister of India is Narendra Modi.
- Narendra Modi is Current Prime Minister in India.
|Best Job Search Sites India|
|Indian States with their Capital|
|List of Banks in India|
|Bank Holidays 2019|
Frequently Asked Question
Q. Who is the first woman prime minister of India?
Ans. First lady prime minister of India was Indira Gandhi. Indira Priyadarshini Gandhi was an Indian politician, states woman, and a central figure of the Indian national congress.
She was the first and till today, the only prime minister of India.
Q. Who is the second prime minister of India?
Ans. The Lal Bahadur Shastri Serving until his death was the second prime minister of India.
Q. What is the Prime minister of India salary?
Ans. The salary entitled for prime minister of India is 1.60 lakh.
Q. What is Prime minister duties in India?
Ans. Prime minister is the leader of the party in power.
Main duties of PM consists of the following
The prime minister’s duties include assuming responsibility for all the decisions and policies of the British government, appointing government officials, organizing and overseeing government departments and agencies, serving as head of the Cabinet, acting as a liaison with the monarch
* Reconciling the differing views on government policy held by the various groups represented by the government.
Below I have highlighted a few key duties of the prime minister
- The prime minister is responsible for all the decisions and policies of the British government.
- He or she appoints government officials, such as members of the Cabinet.
- He or she serves as the head of the Cabinet and sits on several Cabinet committees.
- He or she manages, oversees, and organizes the work of government departments and agencies.
- He or she serves as a liaison between the monarch and the government, keeping the monarch up-to-date on government business. He or she also recommends candidates for the monarch to appoint to the House of Lords, the judicial bench, and the clergy of the Church of England.
- He or she is active in the House of Commons, often participating in debates, answering questions from fellow MPs, and making formal statements.
- He or she is the leader of his or her political party and works to keep the other members in line.
- He or she represents the United Kingdom internationally.
Q Who is the first non-Congress Prime Minister of India completed his full term?
Ans. The main face of the saffron party and former prime minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee, a moderate face in politics and the first non-congress prime minister to complete a full term in office.
The prime minister has passed away due to prolonged illness.
Q Who is the current prime minister of India?’
Ans. Narendra Modi is an Indian politician who is serving as the 14th and the current prime minister of India since 2014. He was the chief minister of Gujarat from 2001 to 2014
Q Who is the 5th prime minister of India?
Ans. The charan Singh was the 5th prime minister of India
Q What is the tenure of the prime minister of India?
Ans. The prime minister serves on ‘the pleasure of the president’; hence, a prime minister may remain in office indefinitely, so long as the president has confidence in him/her. However, a prime minister must have the confidence of Lok Sabha, the lower house of the Parliament of India.
Q Who is the seventh prime minister in India?
Ans. Vishwanath Pratap Singh (V P Singh) was the 7th Prime Minister of India officially.
He served between 1989 to 1990. His prime ministership was well known for the Mandal Commission controversy
Q Which is the longest-serving prime minister of India?
Ans. The list is topped by Jawahar Lal Nehru at 6130 days, followed by Indira Gandhi second longest-serving prime minister with 5829 days.
Later Manmohan Singh become the 3rd largest serving prime minister of India
Q Write about the prime minister of India?
Ans. The prime minister of India is the leader of the executive of the government of India
The prime minister is also the chief advisor and head of the council of ministers.
Narendra Modi is an Indian politician who is serving as the 14th and current prime minister of India since 2014
Q Who is the best prime minister of India?
Ans. The incumbent prime minister of India is Narendra Modi. Even critics cannot ignore his contribution to India’s development. The reason he is considered the best prime minister is due to his undeterred resolve to turn India into the anti-corruption country along with his dedication to development, and proved his mettle in a number of tough conditions.
The agenda of development has become Modi’s USP, capturing the imagination of the public since the 2014 Lok Sabha elections with slogans like ‘Acche Din’, ‘Sab ka Saath, Sabka Vikaas’ and ‘Abki Bar Modi Sarkar’. That’s what differentiated him from others.
Q Who is more powerful prime minister or president of India?
Ans. India follows parliamentary democracy; hence it’s the prime minister who has more powers.
The prime minister of India is the head of the union government.
Q Who is or was the best Prime Minister of India, and why? State some of their achievements and interesting facts about them, too.
Ans. There are four prime ministers in India who are well appreciated for their selfless dedication for the nation and exemplary works.
Below stated are their names
Let’s take a quick look at the following
- Indira Gandhi who ruled for 13 years
- P V Narasimha Rao who ruled for five years.
- AB Vajpeyi who ruled for 6 years.
- Narendra Damodara Modi who is the present PM since 2014
Do you know, the interesting fact about Indira Gandhi is who ruled for 13 years and had many ups and downs in her career.
Her contributions are the creation of Bangladesh from East Pakistan.
This is her standout performance. Pokaran Atomic Test 1 conducted during 1974 was hailed by al
P V Narasimha Rao who was PM for 5 years liberalized our economy and foreign investments were welcomed. India which was almost bankrupt and had to mortgage its gold started showing recovery year on year. Became one of the leading economies.
“A B VAJPEYI” The honorable prime minister who has passed away was PM for 6 years had great contributions to the country. Kargil War of 1999 fought to liberate Kargil from Pakistan supported terrorist who was ejected by the army. Indian Army had won the war.
Narendra Modi is the current prime minister of India The surgical strike against ultras who ran away to Myanmar and the terrorists in Pakistan are his greatest achievements to date.
If we look upon the past records Both Vajpeyi and Modi are eligible to be the Best Prime Minister of India. Both of them have done commendable work. As of now, I consider both of them as the best PMs of India.
Q. What is prime minister India office address?
Ans. E Block, Central Secretariat, New Delhi, Delhi 110011
Q. Prime minister of India Email id?
Ans. Narendra Modi’s Email ID & PMO Email Address:-
- Narendra Modi Email Address: email@example.com
- PMO Email ID: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Prime Minister Complaint Cell Email Address: email@example.com
Interested in general knowledge and current affairs. One needs to stay informed and know what is happening around the world.
I hope our today’s guide on the list of all prime minister in India till is of significant utility and best of knowledge.
If you love reading it, please do the honor of sharing it with others through Facebook and Twitter.
It is truly stated Prime ministers are not appointed for a position they are hired for a responsibility, responsibility of the nation.
If you have any queries or doubts regarding this post. Your views are cordially invited to this post
|IBPS PO Recruitment 2019|
|IBPS Clerk Recruitment 2019|
|IBPS RRB Recruitment 2019|
|IBPS SO Recruitment 2019|